The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer Book Review!


Before I start this Review, just wanted to announce that I have a new GIF buddy who will be helping me to properly describe my emotions.

Thank God for Stiles Stilinski.

03/28page 227
48.0%"Oh sweet goodness this book will be the death of me."

(Progress Update taken from My GoodReads)

Yes. That's all I had time to stop and Update during my adventure with this book. I was too busy not being able to stop reading it to update any more.

My family probably thought I was crazy or something--I physically could not set this book down. I read it when I had to walk down streets, ride in the car, eat food--literally, people, it was a little ridiculous.

But something was always happening. And, even when nothing huge was happening, the story itself was so indescribably captivating I just couldn't stop!

Never heard of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer? COME ON, SON!:

"Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.

She’s wrong."

(Blurb taken from GoodReads)

Yes sir, it is the vaguest Blurb on the face of the planet.

When I bought this book, I had absolutely no idea what the heck I was walking into. I'd heard from a few Blogger friends that it was good so I thought "Alright then. I'll give it a try."

And so I gave it a try, and didn't realize I was signing away my soul in order to begin this epic book.

Let's try to break it down, shall we?

The characters are simply irresistible. Each one is well rounded and realistic and interesting.

Mara, the main character (obviously), is something else. She's not typical or average or predictable in any sense.

She's a bit mental, you see--or so she thinks she is. And this was ridiculously fascinating to read because half the time you don't know what is real or what's a hallucination or what's a dream.

One of the few things I can think of to actually put into words about Mara Dyer is that I have total respect for her as a YA Heroine. There were so many parts I rolled my eyes and expected her to do what every other YA girl does--throw herself at the jerk, cry all the time, and just basically yet again portray girls as weak and fragile. But Mara never did that. She was shocking and bold and lovely, and I just.

Respect to Mara Dyer.

Next we have Noah Shaw.

Can I just say.

It started out. He's a jerk. It ended. He was still a bit of a jerk. But.

He was the most freaking lovable jerk I've ever read about ever.

He's precious and adorable and proud and brave and smart and obviously there's still something to him that we don't really know.

But I just.

Animal crackers.












I also have to mention Mara's brother, Daniel. He is someone that I really absolutely love.

I loved their whole brotherly/sisterly thing they had going on because, really, we don't see that in a lot of YA books. I was glad it was there, and it made me incredibly happy. Having an older brother myself, I could relate to Mara and their relationship.

The plot? It was wickedly confusing, and that's the only way I can accurately sum it up.

It was dark but also fun and I laughed and cried and my mind was blown many, many times.

While reading this book, I kept getting headaches because it all just got so twisted and big and just WOW.

But I've never been so happy to suffer through a headache--this book was worth it. Worth everything.

It's an epic story about so many different things, led by a great cast of new and exciting characters, written like liquid gold was used in the ink.

I couldn't stop reading, and I'm currently dying to read the next books.

I can't handle this level of epic.

















Have you read the Unbecoming of Mara Dyer? What did you think? Which character is your favorite?

Thanks for reading--now go buy the book and come back and we can ASDFGHJK!

up