The Raven Boys Book Review!


Oh Gosh.

Here we go.

Three Words.

"My Raven Boys."













OMG YES IS RIGHT MORIARTY.

I used those three little infinitely important words because that is exactly all I could think by the time I finished this quirky but epic little book.

In a weird sort of way, the reader sort of turns into their own version of Blue--honored to be taken along on these boys adventure, steadily growing to know them all and their unique qualities and their deep flaws and their brave strengths.

I'm getting ahead of myself, aren't I? Here's a bit about the book:

"“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”


It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.

His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.

From Maggie Stiefvater, the bestselling and acclaimed author of the Shiver trilogy and The Scorpio Races, comes a spellbinding new series where the inevitability of death and the nature of love lead us to a place we’ve never been before."

(Blurb taken from GoodReads.)

This is the first book in the series--I think there are supposed to be four books?--written by the delightful Maggie Stiefvater. The second book is, I believe, already out. Anyone know for certain? Share in the comments because I'm new to this particular series and really behind on my Raven Boys information!

Whatever the case may be, this book is beautifully done, and let's I can sorta-kinda-maybe touch on that.

03/23page 230
55.0%"Wow this book is blowing me away. I love Adam so much. My precious."
03/25page 361
86.0%"The unimaginable plot twist. Whoa. And I love Adam like a ton. He's my precious now holy cow."

Those are my Updates during the time I was currently reading this book. A lot about Adam. I know.

You want me to start with him okay fine if you insist

Adam is like an adorable little pet puppy--like the kind with the big sad eyes, that cower if you're too loud, that are incredibly sweet and caring and kind. And, specifically over this character, I got ticked at his lifestyle. I'm trying to keep this review spoiler free, but, well--read the book, send me a message, and let's rant about our poor little Adam.

And at that one point--you know when I'm talking about if you've read the book--I was so freakishly proud of him and I just died a little on the inside. Oh gosh I just.

Next up is Gansey, who has to be my second favorite.
Yes the book is just that pretty so I turned it
into a spur-of-the-moment photo shoot.


Gansey is like Gansey. He's epic and has so many sides and is overall just a wonderfully crafted character. He's well done and interesting and fascinating. I love Gansey. The end.

Noah comes next in my list of descriptions, and lemme just say that Noah is... More than he seems.

Like really this book is so hard not to spoil. I can't say anything. But I love Noah and he always pets Blue's head and that's just the cutest.

Ronan is one of those characters I admire--I could never write someone like him, though I've tried. He's tough but soft and sharp but kind and it's like a little bundle of complicated messes wrapped into one character with a witty humor.

Blue is our quirky little character in this book that is sort of a balance--she belongs right in the middle of these boys, and I couldn't imagine her anywhere else.

The plot is quick and, especially near the end, I couldn't stop reading due to all of the unbelievable plot-twists but, that's the great part--even before that point, the book was still so exciting.

This is one of those books that, legit honestly, the characters could be sitting at a table, talking, and it would be the most interesting and exciting and bestest thing ever. The characters are just THAT good.

The world is a strange little mix of sorta Modern-Day-But-Not and an element of Magic. It was easier to wrap my mind around and even easier to enjoy the setting.

So--what's to say that's bad about this book?

Nothing.















The characters are full and great, the mood and theme of the story is pin-pointed and interesting, the plot is shocking and gasp-worth and squeal-worthy and the writing is just the icing on the cake.

The freakishly, ridiculously pretty icing, but still.

Stiefvater's writing includes quick, funny/cute dialogue, but can also create breath-taking imagery that made me swoon and stare a bit. I could image everything perfectly, and the genius of this Novel just is pouring all over me.

Have you read the Raven Boys? What did you think? Who's your favorite character?

Thanks for reading!



up