Top Three Thursday: Books I Didn't Enjoy, and Why!


So today's subject is a tricky one, considering if I could I would deeply love any and every book ever.



Before I list my Top Three least favorite books, I need to write a disclaimer:

I do not hate any book. I can not see many good qualities in it, I can be confused and angry and bitter after finishing a book, but in no way do I regret reading it.

Not only because, as a writer, I think it's valuable to read books you dislike to note what you DON'T like in books. It's very important, maybe even more so than reading books and finding out what you DO like.

But also because, as a writer and an avid reader both, I believe that any idea is a good idea.

Who am I to say that this authors idea wasn't a good one? Who am I to say that anyone who actually likes this book is wrong? I don't believe in judging, in any way, and I would never want to offend the author or the reader. Ever.

I don't like squabbling over what's good or what's not, but I'm also really grateful, in reviews, when they also touch on the worse parts, as well as the good.

So, here goes, and take my opinions just as they are--just expressions of thought.

          1. Across the Universe, by Beth Revis

On my list of books that I didn't fully enjoy, this has to be number one, sadly.

As I state in my review HERE, I was really terribly excited for this book. I ordered it along with The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken, and read this one first. I was... Pretty disappointed.

Let me make it clear that this was literally the first Sci-Fi book I've ever read, and I haven't read one since because this one left me with a really bad feeling. It was disturbing and boring and it was hard to find things to like about it. I really wanted to like this one, too, which is the worst part of it, because I knew that so many people did.

Alas, it simply wasn't the book for me, and until I read more Sci-Fi-, I can't say if it's the whole genre that I don't really like.


          2. Eleanor and Park, by Rainbow Rowell

You're shocked, aren't you?

But, sadly, it's true. I just seriously didn't enjoy this book.

You can read my full review and reasons HERE, but for a brief summary:

I didn't get the connection I was supposed to from the characters. The feel of the book was way off, and I tried to love it but it was very hard.

There's supposed to be a movie? What? I really can't imagine this making a really great movie, honestly. I know that lots of people love this book, but safe to say that it wasn't for me, so I will likely not be going to see it. But who knows, maybe they'll make it awesome?

        3. Pegasus: The Flame of Olympus, by Kate O'Hearn

This one is actually a MG book, but that's really not any reason why I couldn't have absolutely loved it.

I've read many MG books that have blown me away, and still today they are some of my absolute favorites, but this one was so incredibly flat and boring and ultimately nothing special.

I bought it because of all of the Rick Riordan fans screaming about it from the rooftops. This was when I didn't have much to read (HA.), and I was so sure I would love it I dived right in.

Little did I know, I was diving off a building headed straight for concrete.

There are many other books in this series, and I don't really know how many, but I won't be reading the rest, sadly. Besides, this first one ended so wrapped up and happy, you'd think it was a Disney movie or something, rather than the start of a series.

You can read the little I wrote about it HERE, but overall it was a huge let-down--especially after being so fondly compared to Percy Jackson.

So there are my top three, and really my ONLY three, because I love every other book I've read!

Don't hate me now, okay?

Have you ever read a book you didn't like? What was it? Have you read any of these?

Thanks for reading, and meet me back



up