Top Three Thursday: Words!


This week on Top Three Thursday, I'm going to tell you my top three favorite words!

This is based solely off of the meaning of the word, not necessarily how it sounds, how it looks, ect. Words are my favorite thing ever (Obviously.), so this is quite hard narrowing it down to just three!

         1. Favorite Word Number One: Disheveled.

di·shev·eled

  [dih-shev-uhld] 
adjective
1.
hanging loosely or in disorder; unkempt: disheveled hair.
2.
untidy; disarranged: a disheveled appearance.

(Meaning taken from Dictionary.com.)


So I know what you're thinking--that meaning doesn't sound very... Clean. But anytime I use it, it's in reference to one of my characters (Mostly male.), and frankly I find it the most attractive word in existence.

Use it in the context of clothing style, hair, or all around appearance and, to me, it adds this rough, interesting quality to any character.

I'm weird, but this word is my favorite descriptive word.

      2. Favorite Word Number Two: Saunter

saun·ter

  [sawn-ter, sahn-] 
verb (used without object)
1.
to walk with a leisurely gait; stroll: sauntering through the woods.
noun
2.
a leisurely walk or ramble; stroll.
3.
a leisurely gait.

(Meaning taken from Dictionary.com.)


So I really don't have any idea as to why I like this word other than the fact that I just do. It gives the idea of confidence and gives character, or even gives off a vibe of arrogance.

It's a very expressive way to show what kind of person your character is if they saunter everywhere!

      3. Favorite Word Number Three: Classy

class·y

  [klas-ee, klah-see] 
adjective, class·i·er, class·i·est. Informal.
of high classrank, or grade; stylish; admirably smart; elegant.

        (Meaning taken from Dictionary.com.)

Another word I absolutely adore. Anything the can be described as this, chances are I'll love, whether it be characters, clothes, houses, art, people, ect. It gives me an old fashioned feeling, and I think it's a brilliant word.

So there are my Top Three favorite words!

Speaking of words, don't forget to check out my past post of all things wordy!:


What are your Top Three favorite words? WHY are they your favorite?

Also, Defying Impossible has a new Super-Short Review of 

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

Why did I like it? What should you expect if you haven't read it? Find out my opinions below!:

(Learn more about this book on the GoodReads page HERE.)

"Here I am, late at night, studiously sipping Coffee and contemplating the rating that shall be chosen for this book.

I choose...

Five stars.











Going into this book, I honestly had no idea what to expect. I read the description and had a few bookish friends going crazy about it, so I finally decided to buy it while I was at a bookstore.

I don't regret it one bit.

I've found that many people who've read this beautiful book, and were very disappointed. Not because the plot was slow or boring, or the characters were flat, or the writing was horrible, because I can assure you NONE of those are remotely true--it was, instead, the fact that most people picked up this book expecting a terrifying thriller Novel that they read with the lights on.

Though this book does have some parts that were freakish and 'peculiar', nothing made me shiver and have nightmares all night. (And this is coming from a girl who is scared of basically everything.)

I think that that made it all the better, though--that in the beginning it's all freaky and disturbing, but you slowly begin to question further in that perhaps these things aren't as scary as they originally seemed?

It's a neat concept to me.

Now, the story is told by Jacob's POV, first person, and he is really a wonderful hero to our story. Usually this sort of character I'm not very interested in at all, but somehow I fell in love with Jacob from the very start.

He's by far one of the most realistic, understandable main character I've ever read.

The supporting characters were absolutely brilliant:

Emma is strong and fun and a wonderful leading lady for our story, full of fire (Punny!) and kindness. I really liked her. Bunches.

My other favorite character, besides Emma and Jacob, is most certainly Millard. Seriously, I love the guy.

The theme of the story is haunting and mysterious and wonderful. The plot is thrilling and I flew by the pages in no time. The characters are each very real and unique and I have major respect for that.

All in all, it's a fantastic book, but I won't be telling you anymore because I walked into it blind, so I think you should too! It makes it all the better!"

(Review can be seen on my GoodReads page HERE.)

Have you read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children? What's your opinion?

Thanks for reading!

up