Do What You Hate for What You Love


I was trying to explain to my mom and my sister the other day something that I live by:

"Do what you love, or don't do it at all."

I realized that I was right, but still I was wrong.

My sister brought up the point that my dad has to leave for a month at a time for his work, and she was sure he didn't LOVE leaving us. She said that we have to do things that we don't love because that's just life.

And so I finally decided that, due to how life is, we must "do what we love, for what we love."

It's simple, really.

Sure, dad doesn't like leaving us. But he's working hard to earn money for our family. He's doing a job for people he loves.

My brother is having to study for hours at a time, and I'm SURE he doesn't love that, but he's doing it to become a Nurse, which is was drives him.

Point is we make sacrifices for things that we love.

I have to sit down and tear my novels apart piece by piece to edit them. I HATE this.

But why do I do it?

Because getting my books published is a dream of mine, and I will do all of the work I have to do make that reality.

You see?

So I was right in the sense that we don't have to do anything without a reason. Without doing it for someone and, sure, even doing it for yourself is a good enough reason.

If it will make yourself better, then do what it takes.

Whether you enjoy everything you do in life, make sure you or someone you love is gaining from it.

So there was just a thought.




up